Friday, January 23, 2015

Nonverbal communication


Shakita Jarrett

Nonverbal communication is a form of interpersonal communication that is not expressed verbally. This form of communication can be conveyed through body movements, posture, eye contact and etc. Even though this communication style is not expressed it’s just as important because it allows the listener to convey information, provide feedback and interpret the emotional state of the speaker. For instance, people nod their heads to signal they are agreeing with your message in contrast closed postures translate an individual is uninterested or annoyed. Regardless of the cues one can translate through nonverbal communication, this style comes with misinterpretations because some forms of nonverbal behaviors are not universal and differ by culture. For example, in the western culture eye contact is essential during communication and signify confidence and attentiveness in contrast Asian cultures view eye contact as inappropriate. Being knowledgeable about the forms of communication that differ from culture to culture is essential and contribute to effective communication. The article I chose “Nonverbal Communication” describes the different kinds of communication and provide information of understanding those styles and improving one’s nonverbal communication. I concur with the information provided by the author especially with body languages because I think it’s a huge message indicator in ambiguous situations. For example, the body languages of students during class can convey boredom, interest, fatigue and etc.; those nonverbal behaviors inform the professor how interested students are in the material and possible areas of improvement for keeping students attention. Moreover, this concept is relevant to material discussed in class because the use of nonverbal behaviors such as proxemics and kinesics. Proxemics includes space and territory, space depends on the amount of like you have for a person or power difference. For instance, two individuals that are attracted to each other will sit close in space conveying attraction in contrast talking to your boss or another superior may result in larger distance due to the type of relationship. Further, I experience and perform nonverbal communication all the time with family, friends, professors and my boss; the types of nonverbal behaviors I exhibit depends on the relationship I have with the person I am encountering. For example, with my friends and family my nonverbal behaviors may include nodding of the head, rolling of the eyes, certain facial expressions, smiling and being in close distance to them. In contrast, when I am talking with my professors or boss, my nonverbal behaviors will change and I may not be as close due to how comfortable I am with each person. Also, some behaviors such as rolling of the eyes and certain hand motions I will not do to professors or my boss because it will be inappropriate and the receiver will perceive me in a negative way. For instance, raising my hand in class will signal the professor that I have a question or need assistance. Nonverbal communication is ubiquitous because as humans we use it all the time in place of verbal communication, but this form of nonverbal behaviors can cause misinterpretations that why it is important to understand that nonverbal communication is not universal.
http://www.skillsyouneed.com/ips/nonverbal-communication.html

No comments:

Post a Comment