Friday, January 23, 2015

INSTAGRAM and its social media outtake

Anna Hernandez 
CAS 283 SEC 005  
BLOG 1 


    In today’s society, we all are constantly using the internet, most of which is used to communicate. We use Facebook to essentially stalk other people or to inform ourselves on their daily life events. We use twitter to explain numerous amounts of topics with a restricted amount of words. And we also use Instagram to capture moments of our life that we feel are important enough to share. I was always someone who was late on getting in on the newest social media. I was a sophomore in high school when I got my first Facebook account. I was a junior in high school when I signed up for Instagram. And I still to this day have never had a twitter account. I have a younger brother, age sixteen, that I have watched grow with these social media cites and technology. While watching the video of the two people using Instagram the first day we arrived in class, a lot of what was showed in that video reminded me of the behavior that my brother portrayed. Like how before every single meal he insists on taking a picture of his food as if it is going to be judged on some fancy cooking show for best food award. There is a difference that I have observed between my generation and his. The content of the pictures we post are different. For example his account will contain only a few topics; his girlfriend, skateboarding, and what his food looks like. My account however features more pictures of me and my closest loves ones, things I find interesting, and places that I have been to. So in a sense I feel as though my account does not have a preference for what the content holds, where his might. I agreed with the content of the video where they ask the underlining question of why we feel this need to document our lives, and what the true purpose of this is. Why do we feel the need to promote our lives and be judged constantly for it? Some of the content in that video talked about how the amount of likes we get can affect the way we feel about the picture and about ourselves. Lets say I post a picture that I thought was very interesting and only receive five likes on it verses fifty likes that I have received before. I am most likely going to feel insecure and second guess what I just posted due to the lack of responses that I received. I am sure that most people can relate to this feeling that I am talking about. This contributes the a form of verbal communication. I say that it is verbal due to the fact that we can communicate words and images via the application of Instagram. Not only can you use a visual but there is also an opportunity to write something below it. Before Instagram, I never knew what a hashtag was. The way I see it, is that hashtag, for a period of time,became a trend. People on Vine making videos started to replicate and used hashtags in a form of humor, in a sense making fun of the people using hashtags. Hashtags also allow you to view other people pictures who have hashtaged the same word. This allows for a whole new search engine to emerge. In the article, “How social media has changed the way we communicate” by Pollock Communications Health and Wellness Experts, It states that throughout these different applications of social media, we are essentially able to get to know a person and their interest and least somewhat to a majority before even meeting them in person. I know first hand that this has applied to me because before moving to State College in the fall, I looked up my roommates to try and see what they were like before I even met them. The only thing about this is that for some, they were exactly how I would have figured they would be in person, and for others , I totally misjudged them. This article goes on to state that today we essentially used social media for everything and that it has become an outlet for people to share their voice. I agree with the article when it states that in today’s society, if you are not on social media of any kind, you are not informed of what is going on. 

Pollock Communications Health and Wellness Experts.May 17th,2014.January 22nd, 2015.http://www.lpollockpr.com/2014/05/17/social-media-changed-way-communicate/

No comments:

Post a Comment