Friday, April 3, 2015

Cyberbullying: Modern Warfare




Cyberbullying; we all know what it is and its affects. In my opinion, cyberbullying has become a new form of modern warfare. Meaning that people have taken social media and used it as a weapon against people to hurt them much like the weapons use in World War II, but only with words. I never really given much thought about cyberbullying and how it really affects people until I experienced cyberbullying. I never thought that in a million years that I would ever have to worry, especially in college. At the beginning of this semester, myself and fellow students participated in a series of protests around campus, protesting the recent grand jury decisions where police officers killed unarmed black men. As result of these peaceful protests, people took to Twitter, Facebook, and Yik Yak to victimize the protesters using racial slurs and saying really heinous things. I, being one of the man protestors, really felt sad, angry, confused, disgusted, and many other feelings. I had to really talk to my mom to ask for help from keeping to respond back to people and ultimately stoop down to the level of those disgusting people. While this was only one incident in my life and once that I have ever even knew of someone who was cyberbullied but this is not the same reality for many people. I was lucky enough to have someone that I trusted to talk to about what was going on before I had reacted in a way that didn’t the person that I am or aim to be. Again, this isn’t reality for many people.

According to Cyber bullying statistics from the i-SAFE foundation:

  •  Over half of adolescents and teens have been bullied online, and about the same number have engaged in cyber bullying.
  • More than 1 in 3 young people have experienced cyber threats online.
  • Over 25 percent of adolescents and teens have been bullied repeatedly through their cell phones or the Internet.
  • Well over half of young people do not tell their parents when cyber bullying occurs.

These statistics definitely shocked me when I read them because I know how awful cyberbullying is and how hard it could probably be if you don’t talk to someone. As result of cyberbullying teens, who are affected the most, have taken drastic measures like suicide.

An article published in the Bangalore Mirror discusses ways to prevent cyberbullying. Some of way listed were:
  • Do not forward bullying messages to others. Tell your friends to stop doing it. Do not be a silent bystander. For all you know, you could be the next victim.
  • Block communication with the bully, by blocking the mail, excluding him from your social media page.
  • Never post your personal information, share your password, credit card details especially with someone you have met only online.
  • Do not delete the messages or mails if they are nasty and harmful as you may need them as evidence if you decide to report the bully to adults or police.
  • Inform the website or social media site about the matter.
These ways that the author are extremely helpful. One reason I think cyberbullying happens so frequently is because people aren’t informed about how to take prevent cyberbullying or ways in which to report it and stop it from happening.  



http://www.bangaloremirror.com/columns/teen-spirit/The-reality-of-cyberbullying/articleshow/46773818.cms

No comments:

Post a Comment